Friday, June 03, 2011

The ephemeral nature of the RPG experience

I had planned for another post on my True20 Freeport campaign report for today but I'm still sorting through photos. I'll be working on that over the weekend.

In the meantime, check out this post over at Age of Ravens. Lowell traces the Japanese concept of mono no aware (the ephemeral nature of things) from the short life span of insects through to role-playing games. It's a look at how we remember those fleeting in-game experiences and how they live on in memory after their moment has passed.

What are some of your gaming memories--good or bad--that have stuck with you over the years?

2 comments:

Simon Forster said...

One thing that has always stuck in my memory was when I was a young lad, pre-teen, playing a wizard who got trapped in a church and silence spelled by an evil cleric. To escape my character ran up to the the altar, and leapt from it through the stained glass window and out of the church. It was great fun!

Lowell Francis said...

Still for me, one of the best session was your zombie game- the confusion and uncertainty we had about what the hell was actually going on. That weird not knowing whether we would get killed easily that you get when you first play with a GM. And of course the donut factory reference.