Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Trek Remastered -- Various recent episodes

Yes, I've been very neglectful of this blog and you, dear readers. It's been a wild week or so in Kaijuville. To make up for it, I'll do my best to update at least once a day for the rest of the week. Hopefully there will be something in there that you're interested in.

First of all, let me tell you about "The Doomsday Machine", which aired a little more than two weeks ago in the rotation of remastered Original Trek episodes. How was it?

Outstanding. Absolutely incredible. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time, and of course I've seen the original a dozen times over the years. Watching the Remastered edition was like seeing it again...for the first time. It surprised me how the new effects really altered the mood and made the story pop in a new and fresh way. Of all the Remastered episodes so far, this is by far my favorite. If you only see one, this is it. You can read a review and see screenshots and video at trekmovie.com.

"Amok Time" was excellent as well. It isn't as effects-heavy as "Doomsday...", but there's a great new establishing shot of the arena that's well done.

"I...am...Kirok!!" "The Paradise Syndrome" was this past weekend's episode, the one with the American Indians. I think this one is better than it's given credit for, and it's a shame that the syndication edits don't help at all. Dropped dialogue and missing minutes of scenes lessen the emotional impact of the show. Check it on the eventual DVD.

A rerun of "Space Seed" airs this weekend, with some nice shots of the Enterprise and the Botany Bay.

No comments: